10.4.2 Ministry of War
The Ministry of War is responsible for all military matters within a city. It is up to the Minister and his aides, along with volunteers of the city militia, to defend their land outside the walls and protect their realm. Of course, a balance has to be struck between dominance and the cost of soldiers. No nation can afford to fight forever and a diplomatic course is often the strongest.
Each city has a War Room. Certain military commands must be executed from this room. Each city also has a Barracks, from which soldiers may be recruited.
Lastly, the Ministry of War is also responsible for the militia. See HELP MILITIA for more information.
The commands associated with the Ministry of War are as follows:
WARSTATUS <your city>
- See a basic list of the military status of your city. Must be done
from the War Room.
TERRITORY <any city|NEUTRAL>
- Shows you all territory that has been claimed or neutral
territories held by no one. This must be done from the War Room.
- See HELP TERRITORIES for more information.
TERRITORY <your city> LAND [area]
- View the land that has been captured by your divisions. Must be done
from the War Room.
- View your relationship between other organizations. Anyone may do this.
- See how much gold the Ministry of War has.
MILLOG or READMILLOG <city> <start> <weeks back>
- Read the military log for your city. You may omit both the <start>
field and <week> field if you wish to see the beginning of the current
week's log. However, to see the beginning of yesterday's log, you must
do READMILLOG ENORIAN 0 2, for instance, would read the beginning of
the log from two weeks ago.
WRITELOG MILITIA <text>
- Write to the city's militia logs.
CITY DECLARE WAR ON <organization>
- Declare war on an organization. While at war, troop conscript costs
are doubled and citizens of the opposing organization will be attacked
on sight by guards. Only the War Minister or city leader may do this,
and it must be done from the War Room.
CITY LIBERATE HERE
- Liberate a location from your city's influence. Only the Minister
of War may do this. Doing so will cost you a small amount of career
points in the militia.
The Ministry of War is responsible for the conscription of soldiers so that the militia may accomplish its goals. For more information on commanding soldiers, please see HELP DIVISIONS.
The following commands deals with conscription:
CITY CONSCRIPT LIST [GUARDS|TROOPS|type#]
- Shows you all or specific conscripts employed by the city.
CITY CONSCRIPT TYPES
- View the type of conscript that the city can train. The G? column indicates
guards, which can be deployed exclusively by the Ministry of Security. All
other conscripts are by default soldiers, under the authority of the
Ministry of War.
CITY CONSCRIPT PURCHASE [<howmany>] <conscript type>
- Recruits a division of soldiers, who will report immediately to the
city barracks. A division may have no more than 100 members.
- Conscripting soldiers will draw from your reserves that is visible on
WARSTATUS. Once you run out of reserves, you will be unable to recruit
- Your reserves will grow in numbers every howling for each TERRITORY
you control. It is 3 per territory.
- Please read HELP DIVISIONS for a more detailed view on soldiers, as
they are quite complex.
CITY CONSCRIPT ASSIGN <conscript> TO <person>
- Assign a commander to a division, who takes full authority over that
- The division will be unable to receive orders for 10 seconds after
assignment if they do not reside within the city walls.
ECONOMICS OF WAR
It is important to ensure that there are always funds in the Ministry of War's account, as not only do soldiers cost money to recruit, but they are also paid wages each week. It is worth noting as well that all conscripts earn double wages when you are at war with another organization, for hazard pay. Additionally, land that has been captured outside of the city walls will cost 200 gold each Aetolian week to upkeep, doubled during war.
While sometimes expensive, the cost of your conscripts and maintaining land can be reduced through your pylon to obtain some savings.
In short, the loss of able soldiers and land due to insufficient funds could be the difference between a victory and loss, so make sure you are diligent in your funding!
See also: HELP MILITIA, HELP DIVISIONS, HELP TERRITORIES, and HELP DIPLOMACY.