I keep getting asked questions a lot about archers, so here is the definitive list:
* Fire a volley of arrows at enemy troops who march adjacent to them.
* There is no cooldown, marching adjacent to them will trigger it.
* Fire at troops even if they are fighting a PLAYER.
* Fire at enemy troops again if they are marched adjacent to the archers once more.
* Fire at troops if they are not in FORMATION (don’t confuse this for fortified).
* Charge into the room and start a battle after firing.
* Automatically fight a division that marches into their location.
* Continue firing after the first volley, it is ONE volley and that’s it.
* Fire at troops they are not at war at (think and plan carefully about this).
* Fire at troops if they are fighting by another MOBILE or DIVISION in battle.
* Fire at troops marched into the same room as them.
Other things you need to know:
* Archers are for DEFENSIVE play mostly, but they aren’t terrible offensively. Ignore this advice at your own risk.
* The single ranged attack mechanic is automatic, you don’t have to order an attack or any other command, they just need to be in formation.
* One volley basically rolls exactly like one round of battle. Expect a similar amount of causalities.
* Blessings, captured land, and commander-present bonuses apply on the volley.
* The volley does not clear or remove a troop blessing.
* Multiple archers stacked in a same room will only let ONE DIVISION fire.
* If the are in separate rooms, multiple archer divisions can fire on a single enemy division when they are marched adjacent to them all.
* Learn to make use of ORDER REPORT STATUS. All timers and stats are there.
Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 7th of Chakros, in the year 508 MA.
Discuss this post on our forums: