Date: 2/27/2013 at 2:20
From: Razmael, the Synthesist
To : Everyone
Subj: Guard changes
I have made several changes to the way maximum guards are determined,
with the aim of fixing a gross disparity between cities in regards to
how many guards they can hire vs how many rooms they need to protect.
Maximum guards are now based on accessible rooms. This means any room
you can walk to, from the city barracks, without encountering a door.
This change is going to result in most cities having to cut some guards,
as you can no longer block off portions of your city and still have them
count towards your guard total.
With this change, we also introducing a new mechanic for guards: Guard
complacency. A summary of this new mechanic and all the changes are as
* When guards are attacked and killed, every other guard in the city
grows less complacent.
* Decreased complacency confers:
- Increased damage done.
- Decreased damage taken.
- Bigger response radius.
* Guards at 100% complacency are the same strength as they are now.
* A guard death will decrease the city's complacency by 2%.
* Complacency will increase at a rate of 5% per Howling.
* Maximum guards are now based on accessible rooms.
- If you are over your guard limit, guard complacency will
- A room is counted as accessible if there is a path from
the barracks to that room, with no doors in the way.
* Security can check CITY INACCESSIBLE to see where the city is
* GUARDS RETURN no-attack time has been lowered to 1 minute.
- It will now increase complacency by 5%.
* Security minister and its aides can now add doors to the entrance of
houses and buildings.
- CITY PLACE DOOR <direction>
- Costs the ministry 10,000 gold.
* Security minister (but not aides) can now dismiss guards.
- CITY CONSCRIPT DISMISS <guard>
City complacency will be locked at 0% for the next few days, to give all
the cities time to adjust to the new situation.
Penned by my hand on the 11th of Lanosian, in the year 384 MA.